Saturday, July 23, 2011

Christian Teacher Reprimanded in UK for Explaining Religion

By Michael Ireland
Senior Correspondent, ASSIST News Service


UNITED KINGDOM (ANS) -- A Christian teacher in the UK has been ordered by her school not to talk about religion after answering a child's question about the Muslim faith.

According to Barnabas Aid (www.barnabasfund.org ) the teacher was asked by a girl in her class whether the Christian God and the god of Islam were the same. The teacher, replying that they were not the same, was then asked to explain how they were different.

Barnabas Aid says that following the discussion, the department received a complaint from the Muslim parents of the girl.

The teacher told Operation Nehemiah, "[The department] handled the situation well and stated that the child had asked the question and I had answered truthfully without giving or intending any offence."

However, Barnabas Aid says in a media release that, since the complaint, the teacher has been asked by the school, where she has been working for seven years, not to talk about any religious matter with the children even if they ask a question. She has been ordered to ignore any question of that nature or change the subject immediately.

The teacher said, "I pointed out that Christianity was my life not my religion. It was a living relationship with my Lord. I live it daily. I now feel I am being watched. I have always shared my faith with the children I teach whenever they ask me a question on my life, why I pray and do what I do."

The identity of the teacher and school has been withheld from this article because the teacher is still working in the school.


** Michael Ireland is Senior Correspondent for ANS. He is an international British freelance journalist who was formerly a reporter with a London (United Kingdom) newspaper and has been a frequent contributor to UCB UK, a British Christian radio station. While in the UK, Michael traveled to Canada and the United States, Albania,Yugoslavia, Holland, Germany,and Czechoslovakia. He has reported for ANS from Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Israel, Jordan, China,and Russia. Michael's volunteer involvement with ASSIST News Service is a sponsored ministry department -- 'Michael Ireland Media Missionary' (MIMM) -- of A.C.T. International of P.O.Box 1649, Brentwood, TN 37024-1649, at: Artists in Christian Testimony (A.C.T.) International where you can donate online to support his stated mission of 'Truth Through Christian Journalism.' If you have a news or feature story idea for Michael, please contact him at: ANS Senior Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment